-- Posted Tuesday, 4 December 2012 | | Disqus
By Stewart Thomson
1. “High-Speed Trades Hurt Investors, a Study Says” – CNBC news headline, December 4, 2012.
2. When everything around you becomes more complex, you can try to employ more complexity yourself, to compete, or step back from it. High-frequency trading (HFT) is a very complex approach to markets.
3. Computer programs are used to try to make just pennies or a few dollars on a highly leveraged futures contract trade.
4. HFT traders take on a lot of risk, to make just a small amount of reward. If you don’t have any HFT programs in your trading arsenal, perhaps a much simpler approach to the gold market is required.
5. Please click here now. You are looking at the daily chart for gold. There is substantial horizontal support and resistance (HSR) in the $1540 and $1800 areas.
6. If I could give this chart a name, I would probably call it the “gold sandwich”. There is a lot of “filling” between the two pieces of “HSR $1540 and $1800 bread”.
7. You can use technical and fundamental analysis to guess where gold will move to next, between those two HSR lines. Unfortunately, that is what the HFT program traders are trying to do, and they are very good at their job.
8. Until gold rises above $1800, or declines to $1540, I would not place much risk capital into the gold market, regardless of whether you own a lot of gold, or only a little bit of it.
9. Please click here now. There is light support for gold at $1707, $1675, $1650, $1635, and $1600, so it is reasonable to place tiny bets on gold and related items, in each of those areas.
10. The HFT traders will likely be the biggest winners on trades placed around these “light HSR” zones, because rallies that occur from such price points tend to be small and erratic.
11. In contrast, rallies that commence from areas of massive HSR, like $1540 and $1800, tend to be quite substantial. The trend-oriented investor who applies risk capital there, is likely to dramatically outperform the HFT players.
12. Please click here now. Unfortunately, this simple daily gold chart shows you that a key uptrend line was broken, $1707 HSR gave way, and the round number support of $1700 failed.
13. Technical traders often place a lot of stop-losses and short sale orders just below such uptrend lines, and that can bring substantial volatility to the market.
14. While stronger hands in the gold community are buyers of such breakdowns, it is often not enough to overwhelm the technical sellers, many of whom are leveraged.
15. Also, while the larger commercial traders tend to be buyers of trend line breaks, they often place less bids than the amount of gold offered by traders who are panicking or facing margin calls.
16. Their reluctance to bid for all the gold that is offered can produce even lower prices. Many central banks have active gold buy programs that provide support to the market, and it often comes just when it seems that gold will never stop declining.
17. I believe that gold is coiling here, and it will soon surge through $1800. That would breathe some much-needed fresh air into the gold stocks sector.
18. If you are relatively new to the gold market, and did not have the opportunity to buy anything into the $1540 area, it’s important not to let the bullish big picture for gold make you act unprofessionally, particularly when selecting entry points.
19. Gold declined to the $1675 light HSR area a month ago. If it falls to $1675 again, only a tiny amount of risk capital should be used to buy gold.
20. Please click here now. That’s the daily chart for silver, and it is doing quite a bit better than gold right now, especially considering the increasing amount of “tax loss” selling occurring in the general stock market. I expect the nervous liquidation of general equities to accelerate, and silver’s outperformance to accelerate, too.
21. The jobs report is due to be released on Friday morning. Gold often sells off during the week leading up to that report, like it is now.
22. Many bank economists are reporting a drop in corporate profits and industrial output, while employment has been rising.
23. Institutional investors had initially hoped that the recent increases in employment were indications of a strengthening economy, but the consistently weak profits and industrial output opens the door to a bad jobs report this week.
24. If the report is bad, gold should reverse course and make a charge towards that important HSR at $1800!
Special Offer For Website Readers: Please send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you my free “GDXJ Capital Allocation report”. I’ll show you where gamblers, swing traders, and long term investors should be focusing risk capital, in the lucrative junior gold stocks sector!
Written between 4am-7am. 5-6 issues per week. Emailed at aprox 9am daily.
Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario L6H 2M8 Canada
Risks, Disclaimers, Legal
Stewart Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the world is: 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products. There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line:
Are You Prepared?
-- Posted Tuesday, 4 December 2012 | Digg This Article | Source: GoldSeek.com