-- Published: Tuesday, 25 March 2014 | Print | Disqus
By Stewart Thomson
1. There are very few price areas where risk capital can be invested in gold, with a reasonable degree of confidence that a “significant low point” will be established there.
2. In my professional opinion, those price areas are major HSR (horizontal support and resistance) zones.
3. These key HSR zones are most apparent on the weekly and monthly gold charts.
4. Please click here now. Double-click to enlarge. On this monthly gold chart, note the buy-side HSR in the $1227.50 area. Even when the gold price “arrived” in this key area, it still declined about $50 further, to $1180.
5. When there is no major buy-side HSR in the current price area, it is very difficult to make accurate predictions about the next major rally.
6. Long term technical oscillators on that monthly chart suggest that the big rally from the $1227.50 HSR zone can continue, but without major buy-side HSR in play now, it’s a bit of a crapshoot to guess when a sustained move higher will commence.
7. As gold rallied into the $1390 area, Indian gold dealers began mentioning the possibility of a dip towards the $1300 area. Their bids appear to have diminished in the $1360 - $1390 zone.
8. While hedge funds kept buying near the highs, they generally use a lot of leverage. They have to exit the market quickly when it declines. Without heavy support from physical dealers, gold tends to experience violent intermediate trend sell-offs around key Western fundamental events like FOMC meetings, comex option expiry, and US employment reports.
9. On that note, please click here now. That’s a snapshot from the CME website of the comex April gold option contract. Those options expire tomorrow (March 26).
10. While there are lots of call options outstanding, there are also many put options with a $1300 “strike” price. Put option holders profit if the price of gold is well below their strike price on expiry day.
11. Deep-pocketed banks that hold the other side of that trade are likely to be buyers of gold futures contracts in this general price area, in an attempt to prevent put option holders from making large profits.
12. Please click here now. That’s the daily gold chart. There is minor trend HSR at $1308, $1300, and $1280. Gold is currently trading above all three of those prices.
13. Because of the severe drawdowns that many gold market investors have experienced over the past few years, emotions can run very high on any disappointing sell-off, like the current one. It’s important for investors to fight those emotions and maintain their focus on the big picture.
14. It’s likely that Indian dealers are already beginning to come back into the gold market, and that should reduce price volatility almost immediately.
15. Please click here now. That’s a daily chart of the US dollar versus the Indian rupee. The dollar broke below key HSR yesterday.
16. Breakdowns that occur on low volume tend to be significant, and that’s the case here. A major decline in the dollar against the rupee would increase the amount of gold that Indians can buy. That’s bullish for gold.
17. Please click here now. That’s the daily silver chart. Note the stokeillator, at the bottom of the chart. The lead line is at about 20, which is where decent minor trend rallies can begin.
18. While Indian dealers have reduced their gold imports over the past year due to government red tape, they have increased silver imports quite significantly. Silver is my favourite metal right now, and a Narendra Modi win in the upcoming Indian election could help silver prices recover quite nicely. Modi has been weighed in silver by local dealers, and he is endorsed by all the major Indian bullion associations.
19. Please click here now. That’s the daily CRB (general commodity index) chart. The RSI oscillator become massively overbought. I highlighted that with a red circle. The overbought condition has now dissipated.
20. Note the position of the stokeillator at the bottom of the chart. It suggests a general commodity rally should start very soon, but that rally is likely to be only a minor trend move. In the commodity sector, and especially in gold and silver, some patience is currently required, but I don’t see anything to be overly concerned about.
21. Generally speaking, most technical indicators are oversold on commodity index monthly charts, but a little overbought on the weekly charts. They are generally “almost oversold” on the daily charts.
22. Emotionally, that’s a very tough situation for investors. Commodities can rally a bit now, but they are unlikely to begin a fresh sustained intermediate trend higher until the weekly chart indicators approach oversold levels.
23. Please click here now. That’s the daily GDXJ chart. The stokeillator lead line is at 25, and the price is near the main uptrend line. A rally seems imminent. Most investors in the gold community are junior stock enthusiasts. The good news is that even if GDXJ fails to rally significantly, many individual issues should bounce nicely higher.
24. Once tomorrow’s option expiry day is out of the way, and physical dealers in India are back in the market, the current price volatility should lessen. The gold market is probably just days (and maybe just hours) away from regaining the “steady as she goes” type of price action that it exhibited on the rally from $1180 to $1290!
Special Offer For Website Readers: Please send me an Email to email@example.com and I’ll send you my free “Yellowcakes Versus Silver” report. Some analysts believe that uranium stocks could outperform all market sectors in 2014, while others believe silver stocks are the better play. I’ll show you why I own both sectors, and which stocks I’m focused on now!
Note: We are privacy oriented. We accept cheques. And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection. We don’t see your credit card information. Only PayPal does. They pay us. Minus their fee. PayPal is a highly reputable company. Owned by Ebay. With about 160 million accounts worldwide.
Written between 4am-7am. 5-6 issues per week. Emailed at aprox 9am daily.
Rate Sheet (us funds):
2yr: $269 (over 500 issues)
1yr: $169 (over 250 issues)
6 mths: $99 (over 125 issues)
To pay by cheque, make cheque payable to “Stewart Thomson”
Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario L6H 2M8 Canada
Stewart Thomson is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am-9am. The newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered point form. Giving clarity of each point and saving valuable reading time.
Risks, Disclaimers, Legal
Stewart Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the world is: 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products. There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line:
Are You Prepared?
| Digg This Article
-- Published: Tuesday, 25 March 2014 | E-Mail | Print | Source: GoldSeek.com