-- Published: Tuesday, 5 August 2014 | Print | Disqus
By Stewart Thomson
1. As the month of August gets underway, the gold market has a solid feel to it.
2. In 2014, analysts who have held extremist price targets (both bullish and bearish), have found themselves looking like fish out of water.
3. Gold has not skyrocketed on the supposed “massive physical shortages” envisioned by the super-bulls. Nor has it crashed and burned, as the super-bears promised it would, on US rate hike fears or QE tapering.
4. Western gold community investors are probably now in an era where the extreme emotions of fear and greed should be replaced by what I call sublime confidence.
5. New OTC derivatives are traded on clearing houses, rather than at mega-banks behind closed doors. This has added tremendous stability to the financial system.
6. The likelihood of a “Lehman 2.0” situation has greatly diminished, although it has not disappeared completely.
7. The solid ongoing transition of China in 2014, from an exports-oriented economy to a domestic consumer economy, adds depth and stability to gold jewellery demand there.
8. In India, economic growth had slumped to under 5%, and the economy was overrun by the mafia. The May elections appear to be a game changer for growth and the reduction of government debt/corruption.
9. ‘"Our government is pursuing pro-development policies. I am sure these policies being pursued by the government will take up India's GDP growth to 8.5 per cent in the next couple of years," the Union Minister for Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, told reporters here.’ –The Economic Times, Mumbai, India, August 3, 2014.
10. Whether it’s a particularly overbought oscillator on the daily gold chart, or a rise in commercial trader short positions on the COMEX, I think there’s little for Western gold community investors to fear.
11. For example, click here now. That’s a snapshot of the most recent COT report for gold. Nervous gold stock investors will note the large net short position currently held by commercial traders.
12. While they did cover off some of these positions in the latest reporting period, they are still net short at least 160,000 contracts.
13. Please click here now. That’s a snapshot of the COT report from late July in 2009. The commercial traders were net short many more contracts than their current position.
14. Please click here now. Look closely at the two green circles that I’ve highlighted on this chart. There is great symmetry between the actions of the commercial traders in July-August 2009 and their actions today.
15. In the summer of 2009, traders built a huge net short gold position of more than 200,000 contracts, as price surged up from the right shoulder low, of what I call one of the greatest inverse head and shoulders bull confirmation patterns, in the history of markets.
16. I would argue that there’s a strong chance that gold is poised to create a much bigger pattern of the same type now, driven by a relentless rise in global demand for gold jewellery. The commercial trader selling here is really very modest, and it’s certainly nothing to be afraid of.
17. What about rate hikes? Isn’t gold’s price “all in the dollar”? Well, gold’s price is all in the dollar, but it’s becoming more driven by the action of the dollar against the rupee and the yuan, rather than just the euro.
18. On that note, please click here now. Today’s report, courtesy of Econoday, shows that India’s central bank left rates unchanged at this morning’s key policy meeting. Most Indian economists feel that central banker Raghuram Rajan will slowly lower rates, in a multi-year process that begins in 2015, while his counterpart (Janet Yellen) in American begins to raise US rates.
19. This process, could create huge institutional money flows into Indian stock markets and private equity, increasing the likelihood of the government hitting its 8.5% growth target.
20. At the same time as Indian growth surges (and hence citizen wealth to buy more gold surges), I’m predicting that US inflation begins to tick noticeably higher, while the US business cycle peaks.
21. Do the charts support these fundamental arguments that gold is “solid as a rock”, at this point in time? For the probable answer, please click here now. That’s the eight hour bars chart for gold. I suggested that gold could easily trade in the $1280 - $1290 area, as Friday’s US jobs report approached. It traded there, and that decline added aesthetic symmetry to the inverse head and shoulders bottom pattern in play.
22. The right shoulder itself takes the form of a green bullish wedge, which I’ve highlighted on the chart. My suggestion has been for investors to place light buys in the $1285 - $1270 area, using my “PGEN” (pyramid generator) to systematically allocate capital. For details on the PGEN and systematic capital allocation, investors can send an Email to email@example.com. Thanks.
23. Please click here now. That’s the CRB index monthly chart. It flashed an impressive 5,15 moving average crossover buy signal in early 2014, and rallied to the 313 area. This moving average series has very few false signals. There’s also a clear upside breakout from a key down trend line. The CRB index has retraced about half of the rally. There’s no point in wasting time trying to decide exactly where it might turn higher. What’s important is to understand the possibility that deflation likely ended in 2013, and reflation is now beginning. The overall picture on this chart adds another layer of technical concrete to the concept of a solid floor for gold being in place now. A floor is not a “bottom that occurs just before blastoff!” event. It’s a general price zone of enormous support, where downside price volatility should not be feared.
24. Please click here now. This key weekly chart shows the price action of gold versus GDX (gold stocks). The large head and shoulders top pattern suggests that gold stocks are on the cusp of a significant period of outperformance against gold. A rally that does not exceed the right shoulder highs of 57.55 could be used by investors to buy gold stock, in anticipation of that period of outperformance!
Special Offer For Website Readers: Please send me an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you my free “Platinum Demand Rocket Time?” report. Key platinum markets may be set to show increases in demand of 15% - 40% in 2015. That could turn this mighty metal into “gold on steroids”. I’ll show you in detail what the fundamentals are, how I’m managing risk, and seeking reward, in this great asset!
Note: We are privacy oriented. We accept cheques. And credit cards thru PayPal only on our website. For your protection. We don’t see your credit card information. Only PayPal does. They pay us. Minus their fee. PayPal is a highly reputable company. Owned by Ebay. With about 160 million accounts worldwide.
Written between 4am-7am. 5-6 issues per week. Emailed at aprox 9am daily.
Rate Sheet (us funds):
2yr: $269 (over 500 issues)
1yr: $169 (over 250 issues)
6 mths: $99 (over 125 issues)
To pay by cheque, make cheque payable to “Stewart Thomson”
Stewart Thomson / 1276 Lakeview Drive / Oakville, Ontario L6H 2M8 Canada
Stewart Thomson is a retired Merrill Lynch broker. Stewart writes the Graceland Updates daily between 4am-7am. They are sent out around 8am-9am. The newsletter is attractively priced and the format is a unique numbered point form. Giving clarity of each point and saving valuable reading time.
Risks, Disclaimers, Legal
Stewart Thomson is no longer an investment advisor. The information provided by Stewart and Graceland Updates is for general information purposes only. Before taking any action on any investment, it is imperative that you consult with multiple properly licensed, experienced and qualifed investment advisors and get numerous opinions before taking any action. Your minimum risk on any investment in the world is: 100% loss of all your money. You may be taking or preparing to take leveraged positions in investments and not know it, exposing yourself to unlimited risks. This is highly concerning if you are an investor in any derivatives products. There is an approx $700 trillion OTC Derivatives Iceberg with a tiny portion written off officially. The bottom line:
Are You Prepared?
| Digg This Article
-- Published: Tuesday, 5 August 2014 | E-Mail | Print | Source: GoldSeek.com